Deciding on which car to buy is now made easy with CarBase.my! Make the right decision with our detailed specs, expert and user reviews and more.
We are updating our database on a daily basis. If you spot an error or notice missing information, please let us know here. You can also view our FAQ here.
What I proud of...
1/ Supercharger and Turbocharger equipped
2/ Punchy 240Nm torque at 1500-4500rpm
3/ Heavy body chassis (>1410 kg)
4/ Excellent braking performance
5/ Boot is square and deep
6/ Excellent sound. Bosch player + 8 speakers setup
7/ Excellent rear seating angle (many compromised these days)
8/ Service interval 15,000km
9/ DSG (dry) does not need to service
What I enjoy...
10/ DSG is snappy and responsive to paddle shifting
11/ Good acceleration 7.9 to 8.1 seconds
12/ Time (50-50 on city-highway) 13.5-14.0 km/L
13/ No traffic and highway driving 17.5-21.0 km/L
14/ Weight-distribution quite balance
15/ Features have many configuration options
What I dislike...
16/ Genuine replacement parts are expensive
17/ Heavy traffic and town driving (8.0-10.5 km/L)
18/ Strictly higher fuel grade (i.e. RON97 Euro 4)
19/ DSG clutch pack need replacement
20/ S-mode is very very aggressive
What I hate most...
What I hate sometimes...
22/ D-mode too soft. In order to get most of it in day-to-day driving, Have to intervene with manual shifting and have to shift optimally. Speed and pedal control both have to be right. Exactly like driving a manual car.
(a) Imported unit was 155K but no HID/projector headlamp ???
(b) SC technician cannot resolve my door rattling sound (5 years already)
(c) Touch wood no breakdown so far. Unsure when my clutch pack needs to replace
1. I really LOVE the acceleration. When the light turns green i could easily overtake few cars in front of me. This is very useful during traffic jam especially to prevent cars coming from emergency lane.
2. The speed is extremely addictive. I always find myself unable to resist the temptation of driving fast on highway.
3. Smooth transmission with steady gear shift. There is no distinct sound of gear change like Japanese car. The short gear knob brings the performance feelings. Once i drove from Seremban to Shah Alam at LEKAS Highway and I didn't realise that the speed was already 225KM/H!!
4. Handling is responsive especially during cornering. Previously i owned Honda CIVIC FD and I always feels like the car body didn't turn enough during cornering; creating 'buang' situation. It doesn't happen in Jetta.
5. Braking also really good (as good as Mercedes and Audi) with good grips. It is really helpful when the car in front of you suddenly brake due to sudden traffic jam (usually happens in highway when accident).
6. Sound system near perfect with 8 speakers. The radio also equipped with bluetooth, SD card slog, AUX and CD slot. The car is really quite while cruising on road (thanks to the good insulation and sound proofing).
7. Really good safety features with 6 airbag and EURO 5-star NCAP, making me feel a lot safe when driving.
8. Dashboard material use soft touch material unlike many CKD car maker that use plastic as dashboard.
9. Passenger airbag on/off enables me to switch off airbag when put car seat for my infant child in front.
1. No reverse camera. This could be really helpful for my wife when she drive my car.
2. Water from outside drop into the car when turn down the window. (Especially after raining when i stopped at toll booth to reload my touch n go).
3. Low second-hand value. (come on guys, this is German car with good driving quality!)
4. Dull interior and exterior like old car altough the buttons positioning and functions are really practical. I love the simplicity and practicality but my wife hates it. Hahaha.
5. Few sevice centres. I have to book early for service at Glenmarie SC and the SC is always full. The other nearest SC from my home (at Sg Buloh) is in Puchong.
6. Expensive spare-part and have to wait till 1 month for spare-part (and that doesn't including waiting list).
1. Imporove the after sales service such as increase SC espcially in Selangor when most VW users live here.
Purchased 2015 New
1. Acceleration is addictive. The overall power delivery is seamless and the car is very powerful. I would rate the power equivalent to 2.5 L Japanese D Segment cars.
2. Very Spacious Interior & Excellent Boot Space with good loading aperture. Very easy to keep baby stroller (The boot would just swallow it!)
3. Fuel Efficiency is good. But if mainly driven in KL city traffic dont expect any ground breaking results. I dont understand how people say that they get 10.9 combined. I dont believe it. Realistic figures are all highway driving at 120-130 KMPH 13.3 KMPL (7.5 l / 100Km). All city driving 6-7 KMPL 16 l/ 100 kms. But trust me this is true for almost all cars. This is called real world fuel economy.
4. The dashboard is soft touch materials.
5. Built in 7 inch touchscreen with navigation (bought the model which came from VW)
6. Rear air cons can actually cool the car. Decent in my opinion and a must have for all cars given our climate.
7. DSG gearbox is the fastest shifting box you would find. If you dont want the car to jerk do not accelerate it like a conventional auto and only press the pedal when you gain some speed, I am talking about when you shift to 2nd gear. For me the 1st gear is redundant the car will shift to 2nd at 4 KMPH most of the time and this is where sudden acceleration should be avoided. If you can adjust to such change you wont complaint about DSG which i have been hearing for a few years now and it has become a bad publicity stunt by many salesman who dont even know about the technology.
8. The looks of the car will stand with time unlike some fancy designs which tend to start looking ugly after a few years. A good example of decent looking human who ages gracefully and looks decent all his life as opposed to a very handsome human ages to become ugly!
It does not go without cons
1. The car needs to have DRLs and HID headlights atleast. This will increase the aesthetic value of the car and would be justified for the asking price.
2. Should have leather seats. I had to add leather seats when i bought it and trust me the whole ambiance of the car changes dramatically. The cloth fabric used by VW looks el-cheapo and is intolerable.
3. The tyre noise is annoying and should come with better insulation for it.
4. The steering has a very woody feel and is very heavy.
RESALE VALUE????? Thanks to negative publicity and poor marketing by Volkswagen!
The car depreciates more than a Mercedes???
I would say if you can absorb the depreciation then it is a very good buy.
Yes, I would recommend this car
Date Reviewed 6 August 2015
Ride & Handling
1.4 TSI (2013)
Bought new, Owned for 1 Year
- Good driving experience (160 HP 250 NM)
- Good handling
- Simple interior / comfortable
- Fuel efficency
- German technology
- Good sound system
- Huge space
- No push start button
- No leather seat
- Expensive for spare parts
- Low second hand value
- Cut down spare part prices
- Offer good services
- Leather seat
- High technology car with reasonable price perhaps?
-The low end power in this car is seductive. I've test driven both Mazda3 and the Jetta. The Jetta's power beats Mazda3 hands down. Torque is available even from very low rpm
-Quick and smooth shifting DSG. It shifts so seamlessly you don't even realize you've reached the 7th speed.
-Space is HUGE compared to Mazda3. Adequate legroom even for 6 footer both front and rear. Trunk space is large, enough to fit luggage for family of 5 easily
-Build quality is typical german. Button feels are good and premium. Interior may look simple but it felt very neat and classy.
-Auto dimming rear view mirror, coming / leaving home, digital speedometer, auto lights, wiper, cruise control & sport mode are useful
-Seats are quite comfortable despite being fabric type
-NVH are miles better than Mazda 3. Engine noise are very less audible even at speed up to 110km/h and 4000rpm. Low wind noise.
-Good fuel consumption. Highway cruise at 110km/h returns about 4.5l/100KM. City drive returns around 7 - 8l/100KM depending on traffic
-DSG not too smooth during traffic jam. It shifts to second gear too quickly (at speed of 4km/h!). In second gear there are some minor juddering at low engine speed of around 1,200rpm.
-Specifications are quite low compared to Mazda3 (my second choice after Jetta). No leather seats, no keyless go, no electric seats, reverse camera, no projector headlamps.
-Tyre noise can be improved.
-Parts availability needs improvement
-Projector headlamps at least
-DSG smoothness at low speed
-Luggage space is huge
-Fuel consumption is good. Got 730 km before it fuel amber light is on during long trip
-Good horse power and torque
-Like to paddle shift. Especially during over take and corner.
-Noise from engine and tyre
-Steering wheel is light
-Should come with bi xenon light
-DSG is not smooth during low speed
-Radio sound is not so good
-Bi xenon light should be better
Yes, I would recommend this car
Date Reviewed 6 June 2014
Ride & Handling
1.4 TSI (2011)
Bought new, Owned for 3 Years
Fuel Economy: 14.0 km/litre (7.1 L/100 km), RON97
High torque at low rpm, which it 'propel' you better when exiting a junction.
Low consumption similar to other Japs made on same cc.
1.4 Litre with 160 horsepower and 240 Nm torque, nothing to complain on 'power-on-demand'
Huge boot size, see it yourself.
Last but not least, handling despite a FWD is a pleasure
The typical 'character' of DSG - lil less smooth on low speed, I guess the drivetrain is design to run at highspeed.
Too much of negative perception on after sales service, may affect second hand
DSG 7 speed reliability or perception need to be improved.
Handling 5 years warranty need to be communicated properly.
1) Engine powerful! ( you will be surprised if it can put up an easy fight with those 2.5 litre engines with no sweat) --> if you do not know what is called "ta pau" on the road, this car will give you that beautiful experience
2) Engine powerful PLUS LOW fuel consumption. even if you tekan kuat-kuat ( don't get it?. YOU WILL BE SURPRISED LIKE CRAZY!!)
3) boot space is great. ( Even this will surprise not only You but everyone who witness you loading your trunk with gazillion stuffs)
4) 6 airbags with ESP, EBA & TCS (this feature is really helpfull when you thought you lost control on certain speed, believe me, i've experienced those situations)
5) 7 Speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) - many will complain about it because many are just used to conventional autobox and not this type,this gearbox is wonderful both on steady speed gear changes Or sudden spike for speed requirement.
6) 4 disc brakes with independent ESP & EBA,EBD sensors, this really helps to keep you steady & planted on road at a slightest touch, no need to tekan like crazy and very unlike Japs who bullshit about their braking systems.
7) Integrated VW CAN BUS system which keeps every sensors, lights, engine conditions, Tyre pressure, braking systems, fuel systems, doors locking mechanism & etc in check and in good functional conditions.
8) Sound system - VW ori 8 speakers surround sound with USB & IPOD connectivity. Great clarity & nice mid, low & high bass & treble sounds.
9) AND many more intelligent & smart system inside which will surprise every owner.
1) resale value ( slightly low but still better some Jap cars)
2) some cars come with steady turn lights & cruise control some did not come with them.
3) poor handling of after sales services in some of the branches ( this i think VW acknowledged it and have started addressing it)
4) spare parts pricing need to reduce further to combat Jap cars. this is since VW has sold quite a lot of cars in most countries now.
1) standardise the features to all delivered cars/ call in to upgrade those which did not come with certain features
2) after sales service
3) spare parts pricing (need to reduce)
CarBase.my is a one-stop car buyer's guide run by the paultan.org Automotive Network, with an extensive database of new cars on sale in Malaysia. You’ll find prices, specifications, warranty details, high-resolution photos, expert and user reviews, and so much more – packaged in a user-friendly, intuitive layout that is easy to read.
Stay up to date with CarBase.my by following us at: