Deciding on which car to buy is now made easy with CarBase.my! Make the right decision with our detailed specs, expert and user reviews and more.
We are updating our database on a daily basis. If you spot an error or notice missing information, please let us know here. You can also view our FAQ here.
Extremely competent handling and usable performance, especially acceleration performance for quick overtaking moves. DCC program supports different driving and suspension damping adjustments according to mood.
XDS electronic differential lock really works - just don't expect it to perform like a quattro car.
High quality interior and analogue clock from previous B7. Clock could be adapted to accept high accuracy gps time signals.
2.0 TSI engine is shared with Golf GTI and Golf R, therefore is open for further aftermarket performance tuning.
Less efficient but more robust wet clutch transmission.
Humongous boot and comes with full sized spare tyre, unlike the newer Passat B8.5 Elegance.
Projector LED lights very bright and clear.
Android Auto friendly infotainment system.
Significantly more economical than the B7 1.8TSI, one full tank could be extended to over 1000 kms if driven within speed limits.
Navigation maps for Discover Media require manual updating - needs to be done offline and takes too much time. Discover Media only allows navigation maps read from official media SD card.
Not available with sunroof - yup, I miss my B7's sunroof.
Some item fitments are cheaper than the ones on the B7 - eg. Single boot hook for grocery bags, rear armrest without storage compartment.
Centre console and front armrest storage compartments are too small and narrow compared to the ones on the B7.
Voice activation support for infotainment system requires additional license purchase.
Refinement at high speeds has not improved. Wind noise quite obtrusive at high speeds.
Malaysian spec models do not come with updated read LED taillights as used in Europe and Singapord since 2018 update.
Overall refinement should be improved to be competitive against other marques.
Improve service centre performance metrics in spares availability and turnaround time.
Ensure that the locally assembled models get the same equipment updates at the same time as those in overseas (don't use the same obsolete rear LEDs for post-2017 cars as earlier models).
Remove the 380 decal - really, it isn't even accurate.
Stop heavy discounts on the Passat model - let the real value not be dictated by previous discount malpractices.
Bring the 4-Motion model in, there will be a market for it (ex Golf GTI/Golf R familymen).
- The Performance is TOP notch, shift it into sports man and seriously this Family Sedan turns into a Sports Sedan (even if it is in comfort mode, it'll easily be able to outrun/overtake leave other cars in its dust)
- Very Fuel efficient given the amount of power it generates
- Very supportive seats and very easy to set your ideal driving position
- Spacious interior (legroom) especially the rear.
- High quality materials used at places you can touch, soft touch plastic and leather
- Very User friendly infotainment system and the onboard navigation is very useful as well.
- Massive boot
- DCC enables me to choose my driving experience according to my needs or emotions
- IMMENSE Value for money as this car punches well above its class.
- The car feels solid, even when closing the door, you feel as if you purchased a luxury continental car instead of a D segment continental car.
- I LOVE the analogue clock in the middle of the car
- Safety features of the car are very good, surrounded by airbags and they have many other features that I cannot remember all the terms, acronyms and abbreviations.
- Lane keep assist is very good (for the occasional opening your wrapper for your burger or opening the lid for your drink as there aren't any more straws) when on the highway
- I LOVE MY HD INSTRUMENT CLUSTER!
- Insulation on the top isn't very good especially during heavy downpour..
- Although the quality of the materials are very good, certain plastic rattles are evident after some time of ownership. (like the plastic speaker grill, plastic trims)
- this point is difficult to explain, but I'll try anyway. VW Group's cars (AUDI, Porsche and this Passat) have been laser welded and therefore the top is very smooth as it tilts to your door. When it is raining, (especially after you Wax your car) the water will flow down from the roof and splash on you like a fountain.
- speakers are good, but can be much better. (small gripe)
- the car constantly begs you to go faster, speeds of 120km/h feel like 70km/h and therefore the con would be I received many love letters from the police.
- fitting could be improved by our good friends at the CKD plant in Pekan, Pahang.
- rear view camera could be HD and not 480p, its clear but given that the centre console has such high resolution, its a mismatch to use a camera that is not HD. (small gripe)
- Highline Passats' headrests can't fully go down... This is like the biggest What in the World........ CON of the Passat for me. Maybe they thought its the Highline, so it has to be high? (IF YOU'RE short, like below 165cm) Please do take note of this con.
- Auto start stop can be very irritating
- More insulation up there please?
- HD reverse camera? The fitted one is fine, but I would like HD.
- VWPCM please take note that there is a defect with the headrests for Passat Highlines... They can't go down, so shorter people would suffer awkward adjustability.
- Please give us the option to turn of Auto-start stop as a setting so we don't have to press the button every time we enter the car.
- Rattling of certain plastic in the car.
1. The 2.0 HL the engine is powerful and the wet clutch DSG is very smooth and quick shifting. The wheelspin not only in 1st but also 2nd gear if putting full throttle in standstill.
2. B8 Passat is actually spacious D-segment car, it isn't as spacious as Camry and Accord but it certainly bigger than Mazda 6 and Nissan Teana for sure.
3. The digital instrument cluster is really appealing and way better than Honda and X70. The infotainment system is a lot of fun to play with. The car can mirrorlink for android and IOS where we can put waze on it.
4. DCC system allow the suspension to set comfort or sport ride.
5. Fuel consumption is quite impressive where mix of 50% highway 50% town drive achieve about RM0.22/km. This may not sound very fuel saving but the car is come with sport car engine rather than normal passenger car engine. In real world Camry 2.5 and Accord 2.4 are having similar fuel consumption but power is much lesser.
6. It is high stability in highway and agility in sharp corner. The brake response is great and confident to the driver.
1. The car is lack of storage space for front drive and passenger. The glove box and armrest storage box are really small.
2. Safety system could be better as it missing of blind spot system and autonomous braking.
3. The noise isolution is only acceptable not great. The tyre roar is not acceptable.
4. The rear middle seat is not comfortable due to the bump is high at the middle of the floor.
1. Improve interior storage space especially for front row.
2. Should include safety feature like blind spot, autonomous braking and Active Cruise Control.
3. Noise isolution can be better.
- The car's performance tops any cars in its class. Don't be fooled by the figures in the datasheet, the car has more to offer under the hood in comparison to its contenders.
- The fuel consumption is really good. You can get around 5.7L/ 100km on highway and if you are easy on the gas, but on daily driving the consumption is around 7.0L/100km. Full tank is about 65L and you can get around 900 to 1000 km on a full tank.
- The transmission is really smooth, so smooth you can't even feel the gear change and there's hardly any drop in power and acceleration during the gear change. You can shift the transmission to Normal Driving mode "D", or when in need for more power, you can shift to Sports Mode "S" by shifting down the gear lever. This is when the turbo spool harder and your engine rev more than 5k rpm.
- The engine is really quiet, too quiet sometimes I left the car without turning it off because I can't hear the engine idling!
- The interior is very spacious compared to BMW 3 series or Merc C Class. The boot space is even better with 586L of space.
- The interior finishing is superior than any other VW variants even to Golf. You can really feel the quality of the leather, accessories, and the NVH is also better than other variants.
- Manufacturing quality is not up to the standard for continental cars. Since day 1, I have found issues with the car:
1. The door vacuum seals were installed wrongly. The seals will be protruding out from the car when you close the door.
2. The dashboard was not tightly installed, making rattling sounds when driving.
3. The seat belt was installed incorrectly, and become twisted inside the door panel.
4. The car dies off abruptly when slowing down at traffic light/ speed bumps. This often times were caused by the Auto Start/ Stop function. You have to turn it off every time you start the car, otherwise you will think that the car suffers from a heavy mechanical/electrical problem due to its heavy jerking when dying off.
- The suspension is more on the stiffer side, good for straight line acceleration but not for those who sits at the back.
- The warranty claim can be tedious and lengthy. I have had the car for more than 1 year and I have complained about strange noise on the suspension when slowing on the speed bumps since the first month. After 1 year of complaining, they finally found out that the problem lies with the absorber leaking prematurely. But VW did not honor the warranty claim because it was not recorded in the system and the VW service book, which turns out to be the customer's responsibility to make sure the complaints are recorded. Plus the warranty for the suspension system is only within the first 6 months or 10k km. Talking about 5 years warranty. And guess what's more coming, the price for the absorber is a bomb, and they will advise you to replace both sides in order to maintain the warranty.
- What annoyed me the most is that you're paying exorbitant amount of money for the car, and you get a manual spin knob for the seat reclination adjustment. This takes a lot time and effort especially if you want to lie back and rest. This can be improved with a very simple solution: change to a lever type seat adjustment!
- On the safety side, even if you forgot to lock one of the rear doors, and you try to lock the car using the car key, the car will allow you to lock it! Especially when you were already walking away from the car and couldn't see the other side of the door, you can still lock the car even when the doors are not closed.
- VW to honor its 5 years warranty offer especially to owners whom sent their cars religiously to the service center on time.
- Accelaration make u big smile. Can tapau most car on the road easily.
- Very comfort suspension but great handling. Great companion for long journey.
- Super fast gear changing 7 speed dsg make u feel like supercar
- Great NVH. Engine note is very refine, less wind noise and tyre noise.
- Great space. Plenty of space for rear passanger and 600 liter boot.
- Nice steering feeling in town and highway
- Save fuel compare to other japanese D segment
- 5 years warranty and 5 years free servis from manufacturer.
- No reverse camera (for passat trendline)
- No Apple car play or mirrorlink ( for passat trendline)
- Understate exterior
I can live with lack of gadget in this car because the driving pleasure is more than enough for me
I think this car is value for money. If volkswagen can improve realibility if their car u will be no 1 people car :)
CarBase.my is a one-stop car buyer's guide run by the paultan.org Automotive Network, with an extensive database of new cars on sale in Malaysia. You’ll find prices, specifications, warranty details, high-resolution photos, expert and user reviews, and so much more – packaged in a user-friendly, intuitive layout that is easy to read.
Stay up to date with CarBase.my by following us at: