Deciding on which car to buy is now made easy with CarBase.my! Make the right decision with our detailed specs, expert and user reviews and more.
We are updating our database on a daily basis. If you spot an error or notice missing information, please let us know here. You can also view our FAQ here.
I actually bought a 1.8 TSI Sports CBU model with sunroof, leather seats and lowered sports suspension.
- Very responsive engine/gearbox combo, especially after ABT Stage 1 tuning.
- Fuel consumption very decent for a 1.5 ton car and stays constant even after 8 years of operation
- Humongous boot space and came with full sized spare wheel.
- Build quality is excellent and does not feel like an old car even after 8 years. Some knobs and switches are still in use in newer B8 and B8.5 models without alteration.
- DSG gearbox clutch is very lasting, so far at 273500 kms without requiring clutch pack changes.
- Very decent front and rear cabin with plenty of legroom
- Exceptional stability at very high speeds.
- Slightly lacking in comfort, due to sports suspension.
- Some wind noise intrusion at medium to high speeds
- Rear tyres do not last long due to aggressive camber settings
- VW Service Centres do not stockpile parts, requiring long downtimes for certain repairs, even basic ones.
Malaysian service centres should be more aware of the need to stock parts. Some repairs take ages due to parts unavailability. Service advisors tend to forget to follow up on parts orders. Because of the long repair leadtimes these caused, the public is of the opinion that VW cars are unreliable when it was actually the service centres that created such a mess in the first place.
Yes, I would recommend this car
Date Reviewed 20 November 2014
Ride & Handling
1.8 TSI (CKD) (2011)
Bought new, Owned for 3 Years
Fuel Economy: 10.7 km/litre (9.3 L/100 km), RON97
Mine was the imported unit bought in 2012 but was a 2011 unit. Very stable at speed. Manage to reach 205km/hr. It is a heavy and stable car. Safety features are good with airbags all round. Space is good including boot storage. Transmission is smooth with no issues so far.
Rear right wheel sensor unit malfunction and had to wait for 3 months for a replacement. Very poor resale value. Incidentally the rear right wheel also exploded while being driven on normal road at slow speed as it was heavy traffic in the morning. No warranty as the service personnel accused my wife that she had hit something while speeding. Glenmarie is always jam in the morning!
To increase the accesories especially driver aids like reverse camera. Great help for ladies and guys alike. Bluetooth would be good and hands free calls like the new cla200.
31,000km covered since new. Supremely comfortable.
Smooth ride and impressive acceleration.
Very economical. 750km per full tank is easily achieved.
No reliability issues in the 15 months I've had the car.
Well equipped with good quality materials. It feels like it's been built to last.
Very happy with service centre.
middle passenger in the rear seat may be inconvenienced by the transmission hump .
It took two visits to the service centre before the rattle in the rear was cured - third brake light was loose.
Side mirrors now have to be folded manually.
-there's not shaking while im driving more than 150 km/h
-very efficient fuel at the long distance, im from Kuantan to Ipoh it take around rm100.
-the steering very stability while im cross a road at the higher speed.
-the engine very soft and silence.
-good looking for interior & exterior design.
-at my car that is not problem yet about DSG. stil okay.
-high power pickup when i try from traflic light.
more fuel are used at the traffic jam.
-The car feel very solid and powerful acceleration, especially during start up.
-Good driving pleasure with DSG, which give you gear shifting like manual.
-Nice handling compare to other Japanese model with similar price range, steering is very precise.
-Large boot and rear seat could be folded for more storage
-Low Fuel consumption during long distance driving
-The car start jerking after range 30,000KM. And i did change my clutch during 30,000KM. Now, my range is 65,000KM, there is slight jerking. This is serious problem where you feel not comfortable when start accelerate, feel like the gearbox is default.
-Rattling noise over the dashboard and the service centre could not fix this issue. The noise is more serious when you drive on uneven road.
-Wheel Speed Sensor default, i have changed two for my Passat, when the sensor default, there will be ni any safety feature included ABS, ESP, Traction Control.
-The seats are too hard and which is not comfortable. Especially for the rear seat, many of my friend complaint feel dizzy sitting at the back.
-Long queue for appointment and slow service. Normally, you have to book 2 weeks in advance. You have to wait whole day for major service at 60,000KM.
-High maintenance cost, i changed 4 brake pads with more than RM 1100 at the service center.
- Engine will consume engine oil, owner have to check the engine oil after few thousand KM, most importantly, the salesperson will not tell you this issue.
-Should improve the DSG gearbox, to solve the jerking issue. But DSG is nice to drive.
- Interior quality should be improved
-After Sales service also need to be improved.
Performance and Handling
- 1.8L turbocharged engine performs better than the 2.5L "T" branded car.
- Performance wise it is the among best in its class despite its heavy weight.
- Takes on corners very well.
- Driving in Manual mode has better control over the car.
Space and Comfort
- Large boot size and the rear passenger seat can be folded down for even bigger storage space!
- Decent space for passengers and driver.
- Wind noise only occurs at high speed driving.
Fuel Consumption and Road Tax
- Low fuel consumption especially for long journey driving using highways.
- Thanks to its 1.8L engine, the road tax is very cheap.
- The dry clutch is not suitable for the climate in Malaysia thus causing problem like mechatronic failure.
- Dry clutches have to be replaced because they wear out after long mileage.
Space and Comfort
- Rear passengers would suffer if the front passenger and driver need bigger leg space.
- Rattling sound in dashboard and rear roof is very annoying.
- Need wet clutch transmission eg 6 Speed DSG (DQ250) used by 2.0TSI engine cars
- Poor aftersale service by certain VW dealers.
CarBase.my is a one-stop car buyer's guide run by the paultan.org Automotive Network, with an extensive database of new cars on sale in Malaysia. You’ll find prices, specifications, warranty details, high-resolution photos, expert and user reviews, and so much more – packaged in a user-friendly, intuitive layout that is easy to read.
Stay up to date with CarBase.my by following us at: