Deciding on which car to buy is now made easy with CarBase.my! Make the right decision with our detailed specs, expert and user reviews and more.
We are updating our database on a daily basis. If you spot an error or notice missing information, please let us know here. You can also view our FAQ here.
1. Jinba Ittai i.e man and horse as one.
-Being a Mazda, steering is precise and well weighted with good road feedback.
-Predictable body roll and flex, allowing you to make corrections when required.
-Sitting position is great and controls are within shoulder length.
-Facelifted cars will be equipped with the G-Vectoring system which in theory improves ride & handling. So driving purists out there might want to consider getting a pre facelift model.
-Decent driver visibility. Rear windscreen is quite big. Door mounted wing mirrors means reduced blind spots at the A pillar.
-Brakes are actually great. Good initial bite.
2. Engine & Drivetrain
-Same but detuned engine as the 1.5L MX-5.
-Plenty of torque around the low end to go around town.
-Mid end is where the fun begins as max torque comes at about 4000rpm.
-Sports mode = 1.5L MX-5 (wishful thinking)
-Car runs fine on RON 95 despite being high compression, but RON 97 would allow peak performance. I find that it runs even better on V Power Racing(or is just plain placebo).
-The 6 speed torque converter(with lock up clutch) is fast and crisp. Not the smoothest box out there, but definitely feels very sporty.
-Pedal shift is fun and direct.
-Linear acceleration provides the European feel.
-Nice engine roar.
3. Fuel Economy
-Respectable mileage even for a 1.5L naturally aspirated.
-Personal average at around 6.5L/100KM to 7.5L/100KM combined cycle.
-30L of RON 97 can go for about 400KM to 500KM. Not sure about RON 95.
-Maximum tank capacity is fairly huge at 44L.
-Auto start stop can yield extra mileage at night or during cold temperatures.
-Auto start stop is pretty refined. Driver can choose not to activate it by not depressing the brakes fully.
4. Interior & Refinement
-Clicky controls and switches.
-Floor mounted accelerator pedal.
-European inspired minimalist interior design.
-Leather seats provides good positioning and support.
-Leather on most parts of the interior (including the dash)
-Leather knee rest.
-High quality plastics on most parts of the interior.
-Engine noise is kept at a minimum.
5. Infotainment System & Tech
-Mazda Connect is intuitive and easy to operate. I find that it's comparable to the BMW iDrive, MB Comand and Audi MMI (if not better for some).
-Customisable system (with 3rd party software at your own risk.)
-Voice command can be useful for most parts.
-2 USB ports
-Full fledged hands-free function
-Harman's Aha internet radio is full of foreign content.
-Heads Up Display
-Simple and minimalist speedometer.
1.Engine & Drivetrain
-Linear acceleration might not be for everyone.
-Gearbox might tend to downshift from 6th to 5th gear even for small inclines.
-Auto start stop is not practical during hot weather or traffic jams. You need to turn off manually every time you start the car.
-It's a driver's car so the ride is stiff.
-Communicative bodyroll is good for the driver but not for the passengers.
-Tire roar is obvious at medium to high speeds.
-Wind noise can be prevalent sometimes.
-Air con seems to be less cold when the car is stationery.
3. Interior Space & Practicality
-Overall space is small
-Taller or plus size drivers might not fancy the driver eccentric cockpit.
-Legroom is crammed. (the Almera has 5 times the legroom)
-Center rear seat is pretty much for really small sized adults and kids.
-No cup holders at the back.
-Front door bins are small.
-Boot space is small for this segment.
-Only 2 airbags
-No auto door lock for Malaysia.
-No Blind-Spot Monitoring for Malaysia.
-Poor beam and visibility from the stock halogen bulbs.
-Deep Cycle battery will be very expensive to replace.
-Very rare tire size. Stock Dunlop Enasave EC300+ not entirely confidence inspiring as well.
-CD-Rom is placed at an awkward position.
-No RDS for FM radio.
-No auto-folding wing mirrors.
-Competitors are already offering LED lighting for that price range. LED headlight is a RM5000+ option!
-No auto headlights & wipers.
-No i-ELoop Regenerative Braking for Malaysia.
-HUD is pretty much useless since it only shows vehicle speed for non-navigation cars.
-Fuel economy monitor is pretty much a marketing tool. (Just like BMW's EfficientDynamics display )
-The SD card containing the maps for navigation is RM1200!
-Orange peel effect on some parts of the body paint.
-The RM5000+ option for LED headlights is too much!!!!
-LED DRL as standard.
-Projector headlights as standard.
-More airbags and full safety package.
-Auto door lock
-Official Android Auto/Apple Car Play support
-An actual functioning fuel economy monitor
-Mazda i-DM as standard.
-More info on the HUD, particularly a gearshift indicator.
-Smaller and sportier steering wheel design.
Yes, I would recommend this car
Date Reviewed 28 March 2016
Ride & Handling
1.5 Sedan (2014)
Bought new, Owned for 1 Year
Fuel Economy: 15.0 km/litre (6.7 L/100 km), RON95
- Handling is good. I like the responsiveness of the steering, while the car cornering and zip through traffics.
- It is a good looking car front and back. I really love the sporty look of it.
- Semi bucket front seat are very comfortable and provide adequate support.
- The 7" MDZ connect infotainment system + 6 speaker are great.
- Key less entry and start are a welcome addition.
- Leather touches are nice to hold and feels high quality.
- The dashboard is simple and elegant, much better than cars in its class.
- Engine are smooth and responsive, changing to manual mode with pedal shifters makes the little car go ZOOM-ZOOM.
- Fuel consumption is good, at time manage to get up to 15km/L.
- I-stop function is a welcome addition in saving more fuel.
- Boot space are adequate for a car this size.
- Air-con is cold!
- Good reverse camera.
- The rear seat are small and cramp for 3 person, even 2 bigs guys/girls can feel too cramp.
- The height position of headlight is somewhat too low for my liking.
- Sound insulation is not great. Riding on rough tarmac is significantly noisy.
- No cruise control.
- I-stop function need to be turn off manually every time you don't need it.
- Not much storage compartment.
- Rear seat no water bottle or any kind of space compartment except for an opening at the back of the seat (but only 1 of the seat)
- Linear acceleration is quite slow and need to be rev up harder to get the power you need. Luckily there's sport mode to go for.
- There a weird noise when you apply brake while going down a hill or stop in the middle of a hill.
- Can't really estimate the distance of its front bonnet (maybe i just need some practise).
- The location of the disc insert is to close to the automatic handle. 2 of the USB slots are to close to each other.
- Only 2 airbags.
- Halogen headlamps and back lamps.
- Cruise control.
- More airbags.
- Bigger rear seat for adults.
- Improve sound insulation especially road and tyre contact.
- Great performance for 1.5
- Prettiest looking B segment.
- Best interior in class
- Very well equipped for B segment car. it got MZD Connect 7" touchscreen, HUD, BMW i-Drive like knob, Reverse Camera, Bluetooth, Keyless entry, 16" dual tone wheels, DRL, Knee rest & Leather warp everywhere with red stitches.
- Sport mode really change this sexy behavior. Combine with paddle shift for more sporty driving feel.
- Excellent fuel comsumption. I-Stop help to improve the FC even more.
- Good space for boot even it small compare to other B sedan
- Back seat space is might be small for shoulder room. If you have small family with small kids, This car is good to consider but for adult it can only bring 2 passengers for comfort travelling.
- The DRL is bulb.
- No boot lips come together.
- Need better soundproof, especially the roof.
- Orange peel effect on paint job
- No armrest and cup holder on the back.
- Cannot Mirror our phone to MZD Connect.
- Hard to find place to mount phone holder in good position while driving
- 2 airbag instead of 6. but all safety system is available in this car.
- Fog lamp light so low like does not help at all.
- Better back space
- Boot Lips
- Better soundproof
- Better paint job
- Armrest and cup holder for back seat
- Better design on Halogen reflector headlamp. or just give us LED headlamp.
- Auto fold side mirror pls.
- Auto lock
- Responsive High Compression Engine (RON97 recommended for best performance)
- Premium Finishing and Leather combination which is absence from cars of the same price range
- Best value for money as it's equipped with Reverse Cam, 7inch TouchScreen Entertainment Center, i-Stop, ESD
- managed to achieve 6.5L/100km average fuel consumption which is not bad for KL City Drive with occasional Highway
- Sporty and Aggressive appearance
- Minimalistic Control Dashboard design
- Good bootspace with 60:40 split
- Comfortable Driver Position
- Road and wind noise quite obvious when cruising above 120KM/H
- The Rear Passenger space is small and not comfortable for long travel for 3 passenger and above
- Engine can feel underpowered with RON95 Fuel
- Touch Screen won't function when the car is in-motion
- No RDS in the MZD Connect System
- Better soundproofing
- Manual Option
- A spoiler for the trunk?
- HDMI input for the MZD connect system
- Better rear seat space
- LED DRL + Bi-Xenon Projector headlights please
- Feels outright powerful for a 1.5 car
- Premium, slightly above segment interior feel
- Beautiful towards sporty outlook
- managed to achieve 5.5L/100km average fuel consumption
- Sportiest among similar segment Japanese cars
- Engine roaring sounds really aggressive.
- pretty poor sound proofing despite the premium interior (actually most new cars have poor sound proofing these days)
- 6 speed transmission not smooth compared to the rest of similar segment Japanese cars but then again maybe it shouldn't be for a sporty car.
- rear seat angle a little too straight up. Will be tiring if anyone sits there for long journey drive.
- the MZD connect system seems like it has potential to do more but is under-utilized. :/
- the MZD connect system seems like it's not easily replaced with after market alternatives so it should be made much better if not perfect so that we wouldn't want to replace it.
- Better soundproofing please
- MirrorLink or HDMI input for the MZD connect system will make it much better if not perfect
- Android car and Apple car support will be geat surplus
- rear seat angle
- LED DRL + Bi-Xenon Projector headlights would be awesome or at least an option by Mazda Malaysia.
CarBase.my is a one-stop car buyer's guide run by the paultan.org Automotive Network, with an extensive database of new cars on sale in Malaysia. You’ll find prices, specifications, warranty details, high-resolution photos, expert and user reviews, and so much more – packaged in a user-friendly, intuitive layout that is easy to read.
Stay up to date with CarBase.my by following us at: