Deciding on which car to buy is now made easy with CarBase.my! Make the right decision with our detailed specs, expert and user reviews and more.
We are updating our database on a daily basis. If you spot an error or notice missing information, please let us know here. You can also view our FAQ here.
- A very stable car, which is beyond expectation based on its range
- Good looking car for a hatch.
- the semi bucket seat is very good.
- Acceleration is not that smooth, both contributed by the system and noise.
Improving the transmission system.
Yes, I would recommend this car
Date Reviewed 9 January 2016
Ride & Handling
1.6 VVT Premium CVT (2014)
Bought new, Owned for 1 Year
- The exterior. I fell in love at first sight with the 16" alloy rims and the bodyline, not mentioning the headlamps and tail lamps. But looks are subjective, so each to their own taste. I seriously love the looks of my Iriz.
- Comfortable ride. The semi-bucket seat is comfortable, wrapped up in leather. Legroom is also very satisfying for a B-Segment car, though not as spacious as Myvi. But even for a long journey (2-3 hours ride) either as the driver or passenger, the comfort is satisfying.
- Air condition cools very fast. Even after a long day parking under the sun, it would only take around 2-3 minutes for the car to feel cool and comfortable once you turn on the AC. Mind you, my car is lightly tinted.
- The engine gives you the torque and revs when you want, and the punch is quite satisfying.
- All the essential electronics are within reach.
- 4 cup holders for the front seat, so you can put all your Starbucks there.
- Can fit in 3 adult male comfortably at the back, and we are not exactly small size. The legroom is sufficient.
- Auto headlamp. Neat feature, but not really necessary. But it does add to the aesthetic detail of the car.
- Handling is superb. I can confidently drive into a corner at 120KM/H without having to worry if the car would react wildly. Thanks to the ESC for this. Oh and ABS is standard on every model, so that's a big plus.
- Safety is top notch. The main reason I took this variant for this car is to get the 6 Airbags. You won't know when or where you'll need those suckers.
- A bit of curvature of the side rear view mirror. This eliminates a lot of blind spots typically associated with plain side rear view mirror.
- Fuel efficiency could've been better for a 1.6 CVT. On bad days (traffic jams all around), the FC could go to 10KM/L, and that's bad news. Sometimes, even lower.
- Road noise is horrible. This is largely contributed by the fact that the quality of our road itself is bad, but Proton could've done better in my opinion.
- Roaring of the CVT, Though the engine performance itself is satisfying, it seriously bugs the hell out of me that whenever I step the pedal to the metal, it roars. I can get use to that, but its still annoying sometimes.
- Plastic interior. Even with a 1.6 Premium, the interior feels a bit cheap. Even though they used hard plastics, I don't feel that it is adequate to give it a "Premium" feel.
- The Proton Infotainment System is average, with a tendency to lag when trying to connect a Bluetooth device. And you can't even connect to internet/browser whenever the shifter is not in Neutral or Park position, don't they think about if the passenger beside the driver want to use it?
- The front pillar, in my opinion, is sort of obstructive for my view.
- The CVT seriously needed an upgrade to make it quieter.
- The interior plastic finishings could've been more refine. For a variant carrying the name "Exec" and "Premium", it certainly doesn't feel premium enough.
- The floor cabin noise. Do something about the insulation of the floor.
1. Good fuel efficiency for 1.6L and 1165 KG full featured car. RM 50 from Petaling Jaya (Selangor) to Tanah Merah (Kelantan) and still left 2 bars when reached. Speed average 110 - 140 Km/h. Fuel consumption averaging 6.5L/100KM with 3 people + luggage on board, front tire pumped to 210kpa, rear to 220kpa and using BHP RON 95 + full synthetic engine oil (Petronas Syntium 1000).
2. Good city driving fuel consumption. Averaging 7.1L/100KM - 7.3L/100KM. Only manage to achieve 7.1L/100KM after engine break in period (past 2000KM for me). Don't be surprised when the car still new it will consume crazy amount of fuel (13L-14L/100KM).
3. Good engine performance for Proton car. Beware that this is the MT 1.6 version, I can't say the same for the CVT Iriz. PS: Since the throttle is drive by wire, you've got to push the pedal all the way in when overtaking (don't worry it won't jump).
4. Smooth MT gear. One of the best MT gear around in the market, the 4th gear offer power and wide gear ratio when overtaking while the 5th gear offer excellent fuel efficiency. Double clutch downshift/ hell-toe shifting from 5th to 4th is easily achievable.
5. Good overall visibility and driver comfort. The seat is semi bucket, height adjustable, and positioned higher (feels like driving SUV).
6. Ample passenger leg room.
7. Excellent handling, the car will stick to the road during high speed cornering, the electronic power steering will adjust the steering weight when you're speeding up. Feels like driving my dad BMW.
8. Very cold air conditioner.
9. Good enough rear camera.
10. Sporty engine sound.
1. Rattling dashboard noise at low speed. I've told the service-centre and they still can't seem to fix it. :( Feel disappointed with the service-centre.
2. Very bad stock tire. Proton should find a better tire vendor.
3. Very slow service-centre. Proton need to learn from Perodua about customer relationship, after sales service, and general management efficiency.
1. Improve the quality of the interior dashboard. Rattling noise for a brand new car is unacceptable and show lack of quality control.
2. Improve service-centre quality, please learn from Perodua.
3. Use better quality stock tire.
4. The premium version should be built-in with security and solar tint.
1. Stable at high speed even over 120km/h.
2. Stable during cornering.
3. Even at 110 km/h wind noise not obvious. (not strong winds condition)
3. Comfortable seats, especially extra length supporting thigh very well.
4. Hill-hold assist very helpful.
1. Road noise very loud.
2. When raining, C pillar area very loud.
3. Engine and Outside noise also quite loud.
4. Sometimes sound come out from dashboard and B pillar.
5. Can feel vibration over 100km/h, from brake pedal and the floor.
6. No clock, but only when you switch off the player.
Please use better quality knob, as will touching it every time start the car.
- Generously equipped with safety features for the Premium 1.6 trim
- Great handling
- Relatively easy and fun car to zip around the city traffic
- Value buy after generous cash rebates from Proton
- Attractive design both interior and exterior
- The same problems that plagued Proton all this while is still present. QC is really poor here. My driver side power window is stalling after just 4 months. The push start button needs to be pressed a few times in order to start the car. Although this does not happen every time but previously there was no such problem. The glove compartment is not aligned properly. The parking brake warning light in the instrument cluster sometimes do not go off even after I release the parking brake. I have to turn off the engine and restart again when this happens.
- The touch screen multimedia head unit is very bad. Bluetooth always gets disconnected, the touch screen sensitivity is very poor, sometimes it will just turn off by itself.
- Fuel consumption is very high, 11-12km / litre for a B-Segment hatch is really terrible.
- Service centre quality is also very poor. Very shoddy work. Did not even check my tyre pressure and wiper water during servicing.
-Very solid performance for a small car like this one.
-Safety features are top of the line, six airbags, Isofix child seat anchor points, vehicle stability control, ABS, EBD... You name it.
-Trip computer with more information than you'd regularly get from other cars in the category
-Excellent suspension in the sense that the car feels gripped to the ground and it absorbs bumps better than others in this category.
-Electronic power steering is way softer and smoother than that of the Myvi
-Keyless entry, push to start and automatic folding mirrors a definite plus
-Decent infotainment system, good sound and great features, yet sometimes limited.
-Steering controls for the entertainment system
-Faux leather seats are comfortable and feel contoured to your body.
-High sitting position which makes you feel as if you're in a bigger car.
-Engine is zippy and willing all the time, at least on my 1.6MT
-Follow me home lights, I use every day when I get home
-Gearbox lock for added security on the manual model as well as the auto.
-Daytime running lights, makes the car more visible during the day in the highway and also demonstrates that proton is up to date with current car design trends.
-Mostly everything is computer controlled and digitally actuated, very well done.
-Hydraulic hill start assist.. If the car is on a slope greater than 3% on the manual or 7% in the CVT the car will hold the brake pressure for 4 seconds while you take off. Reversing or going forward.
-Comes with a Huddle XS and one year of Yes! 4G... I use it, and leverage on that and have reduced my phone bill with data significantly. Good job, nice add-on.
-Fuel economy can be a bit more pricey than expected for a small car, but it is a medium engine after all...
-The sequence of the push-to-start button is not properly setup for all use cases. For example if you switch the car off but you're waiting for someone, the radio will switch off and then to get the radio back on you need to switch the car back on or it won't cycle properly through off, acc, on.
-Gear lock can't be switched off... So you MUST leave the car in reverse always or when you close the car the lock will try to lock the gear 3 times and it sounds like it's forcing itself somehow.
-The Android infotainment system is great but, you can't really upgrade it... You can't watch anything while the handbrake is off... So, it can't even be used to entertain the passengers.
-The wifi on the radio gets cut-off once the handbrake is down, so you can't install Waze or Google Maps so it forfeits the whole attractiveness of having an Android system. However, you can install other apps by side-loading them (hint: You can play videos if you install MX Player and the correct codec.)...
-You're limited to using the player onboard or stream via Bluetooth or aux in music. It would be great to be able to install Spotify or Rrdio so that you may use your accounts. It would make more sense this way to have that Yes! Huddle XS that comes with the car... So much potential lost to those limiting factors.
-Sometimes there's a slight amount of rattling coming from the dashboard, but... Really, I don't care and I don't notice.
-The push to start button sequence should be finetuned. If the clutch isn't in, it should just cycle infinitely Off, ACC, ON, Off, ACC, ON... Right now, if you switch off the car, you need to lock it and unlock it again from the fob so that it will start cycling. It should by default go back to ACC and if you lock it, then it can go to OFF. At least consistently cycle through.
-The gear lock should be optional. I can't leave my car in Neutral because if I do, the gear lock makes a very forced-sounding "klak-tok" trying to lock reverse, but since reverse isn't engaged it tries over and over a few times.
-The infotainment system should be at least on Android 4.4.4
-The Wi-Fi off when hanbrake is off should be deactivated or user selectable so one can use Waze or Google Maps, I'd love my car (radio) so much more if it was the case. As well as Spotify, Rrdio, Google Music, etc...
-When the car was turned in to me, the dashboard had a very sticky layer of glue on the dashboard, and I guess from the heat it evaporated into the windshield too so I spend a good amount of time cleaning the dashboard and the windshield. Some presentation before turning the car in should take place.
-The car in a few occasions has taken more than usual to start. It almost always starts right up, but a few times it cranks for more than one second and it feels like the car won't start and it will just burn up the starter motor.
All in all, it has a few software bugs. Literally.
But I really like the experience in general. I've driven plenty of other cars, ranging from Land Rover, to Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen and Volvo as well as from Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Perodua and I can very affirmatively say this car feels outstanding in all ways (with everything in mind, considering the car's size and price tag). I'd even dare to say, that if you block-off all the badges that say Proton and you tell someone it's a Volkswagen Polo, they'd probably believe you.
-No doubt that 1.6 MT gearbox and engine is much quiet and responsive than 1.6 CVT
-Handling is superb
-Much comfortable and fun to drive
-Cornering not bad
-Safety feature well done
-Great overall design
-Secure system such as Parking lock in R may caused lack of reverse sometime.
-Audio system may loss connect when cross over the bump eventhough accelerate 20km/h only.
- improved ergonomic compared to BLM
- handling is good, comfort ride for long and short journey
- generous in features such as speed sensitive EPS, safety aid, HHA and other small touches that make Iriz feels more than just a car
- good sound from stock audio
- value for money. i couldn't find any comparable MT car at 51K (after discount)
- respectable fuel consumption. i averaged 14.5km/L. on the long drive driving within the speed limit may give you 16-17km/L (measured)
- noisy engine and exhaust - it may sound sporty but not necessary for the masses
- wind noise is apparent over 100km/h
- slight vibration (dashboard) when driving over rough road
- HU's touchscreen interface is just not good
- GB and final drive ratio doesnt match the 1.6 engine
- NVH - dashboard, engine noise, exhaust and wind noise
- add telescopic steering
- HU's interface
- i believe the current GB and FD is intended for 1.3 engine, proton should have a proper set of GB or at least an FD unique to 1.6. This i believe could bring down the RPM lower at certain speed especially while cruising. Hence improving the FC and noise of the engine further.
CVT..Time to change to conventional 5/6 speed auto.Rear drum brake for this kind of pricing.Should have rear disc brake for all 1.6 models.1.3 CVT look sluggish to haul the heavy chassis,1140kg even for 1.3!Vios 1.5 only 1050kg.
Proton should fit rear disc brakes for all their future cars as well as push start button as standard.Use 5 or 6 speed auto instead of the annoying Punch CVT
- Impressive handling & stability.
- Fuel consumption not too bad, achieved 7.1l/100km with a mix town/highway driving
- Rear view camera is just fantastic & helpful
- the speaker sound is really good for that price I'm paying
- the wind noise can be heard when you pedal hard. Can be really annoying and the stock tyres are not helping at all
- the lag when you step the accelerator during a stop/go traffic light/junction. new owner really need to get use to this character. It can be dangerous for eg. at a busy junction
- no disk brake for rear tyres???
- ditch CVT or improve the sound proofing
- quality aspect is still lacking for eg. glove compartment not fitted properly
- install disc brake for all 4 tyres.
-Exterior and interior design look futuristic and stylish in every angle.
-Sharp handling with light steering
-Comfortable driving experience also this car fun to drive
-Good fuel cosumption
-Pack with a lot of safety features
-Slow throttle response about 2 second delay
-Plactic quality still need to improve
-Reverse sensor doesn't work properly
-Annoying cvt whine in all speed
-Loud engine sound when accelarate
-Suppose to get 4 airbag for 1.6 exec variant
-CVT not smooth enough
-Sometime fuel cosumption are bad
-Improve plastic quality
-should equip with front parking sensor
-need bigger rim
-reverse sensor need to change
-less engine sound and cvt whine
Pleasant and trendy design; love the aesthetics of the front
Reverse camera, very helpful when parking the tall car
Comfortable ride and seamlessly enjoyable handling on almost all drives
Very practical interior
Sufficient legroom and much headroom space
Decent quality sound from audio system
Power delivery from pedal action command to power on the wheels lags (up to 3 secs), CVT unpredictable behaviours, in R sometimes having the need step on the gas just to get the car to move, engine revs climbing but car barely accelerating (sudden acceleration needed in emergency situations are disabled)
Car feels underpowered going up a slope
Loud "Transformers" like sounds from the A/C system kicking in sometimes
Poor fuel consumption; manages 11-12.4km/L
Focus to improving the transmission performance and efficiency
The feature of closing the wing mirrors electrically from the inside would be nice
Infotainment system & car information system (fuel economy onboard readings and man calculated figures are way off)
Handling is good. Easy to drive.
Hill assist very helping.
Fuel consumption okay, especially on long run, balik kampung.
Engine sound is okay, high gear n speed, almost no engine sound heard.
Player sometime hang.
Sound system not so good.
Ceiling lamp not clear enough
1- For 1.3 a compact car, performance is good at city drive.
2- Ride is simply wonderful as this car is great around the bends. It gives you the confident to step on the pedal when taking corners. Always makes me miss driving it haha
3- Engine is a little bit noisy when accelerating hard but you'll get used to it as time goes by. But when at lower speeds it actually pretty quite in the cabin.
4- Fuel economy is pretty good i must say.
5- Very comfortable suspension.
6- Worth it.
1- The reverse sensors. Doesn't seem to work properly. Alert sound wasn't loud enough.
2- No fog lights for the Exec variant.
3- Closer gear ratio.
- Handling is good. Very stable
- Fuel consumption is good too.
- Huge improvement from previous Proton Models
- Good features all around with the price
- Got a good roaring sound to the engine at start (I like)
- Good colour
- Most solid car in it's range
- Many good safety features
- Very comfortable. On par with Honda City
- Good supporting seat for front passengers (even at hard cornering I feel very very secure)
- Door pocket for small items
- Instant fuel consumption display (Help to improve my driving)
- Finishing touch of the overall build quality is still lacking a little.
- Unflushed panel of glove box to dashboard
- Cheap looking air-cond dials
- Leaking air conditioning water at driver's feet!
- Sometimes non functional beeper/sensor for reverse gear
- Lousy radio panel/sound system
- Have to restart CD from 0.00 when you restart your car
- When song plays, with bass the song gets softer, and then gets louder when there is no bass. Quite annoying
- Hard to accelerate further after reaching 80km/h. Pedal/Engine feels heavy.
- Hard to maintain high speed driving (Quick drop in rpm, quick drop in speed)
- Finishing touches
- Build quality of interior
- Fine tune the transmission
- Change the radio panel
Yes, I would recommend this car
Date Reviewed 13 April 2015
Ride & Handling
1.3 VVT Executive CVT (2013)
Bought new, Owned for 1 Year
RON95, Mileage: 1,000 km/month
Car: Iriz 1.3 CVT Executive
1. Safety - The electronic features are mentioned in other reviews. From user experience point of view, I really like this car. In Penang, there are some steep windy donwhill roads from Relau to Paya Terubong and Balik Pulau. This car is really stable and the gear breaking that is built wonderfully into the CVT system makes it easy to control the speed going downhill. The power is suffcient on the steeper parts so that you won't hog the road. On steep Penang mountain roads (private roads up durian orchards, much steeper than normal road), the hill assist works wonderfully. Very useful when you go to some hill top restaurants or hotels (and I don't mean Batu Ferringgi. These are boutique hotels in middle of no where).
2. Handling on trunk road and highway. Whey...drove this car for 2 months now. It just blows me away. I took a Myvi and Iriz on the same trunk road, and Iriz is much more comfortable on windy and bouncy trunk road. Driving at 140km/h...you won't realize it as the handling is essentially similar to 110km/h. You won't see many cars following you at 140km/h, that is for sure.
3. Power - that 1.3 is pretty good. I can overtake most cars on the Ipoh Kuala Kangsar plus highway uphill to the tunnel stretch. I am not saying this car will win a drag race, but the power is sufficient to drive comfortably and in a hurry. Bump handling is good.
4. This car looks good :).
5. Fuel economy - decent. Be soft on the pedal.
5. Highly recommended. You won't find a car like this at this prize range.
1. You have read it all. But, for a normal driver like me who don't press hard on the pedal, the noise is quite normal in comparison to other cars.
- Smooth driving experience, great handling. Can easily cruise at 140km/h without noticing it.
- The electronic power steering makes less effort when parking as well as giving the driver a more stable feel when cruising at high speed. Cruising above 150km/h yet the steering does not feel shaky nor light.
- Suspension is soft enough to absorb those little bumps on our typical uneven roads.
- Packed with tonnes of safety features. Basic safety features;ABS, EBD, BA, TC, ESC, HHA is available across all variance.
- A very steady breaking system that contribute to the smooth driving experience.
- Love the futuristic design; interior and exterior.
- Fuel efficiency is good (approx. 12km/L) despite its 1.6 engine.
- Cabin is well insulated from external noise. Wind noise can only be heard when the car cruise above 120km/h.
- Front seats are spacious and its bucket type seat makes long distance travel very comfortable.
- Above average sound/entertainment system. The speakers are surprisingly satisfying.
- The two USB charging ports are useful when travelling.
- Slow throttle response from standstill; have a mere one second delay.
- Although the cabin is well insulated from external noise, engine and CVT noise can be heard clearly.
- The Android powered head unit is tedious.
- Legroom may be a little bit small.
- Bad audio quality when playing music via Bluetooth
- The default tyre is noisy and hard on the road.
- More padding to insulate the engine and CVT sound from the cabin.
- Sort out the bad audio quality via Bluetooth.
- Open up the Android powered head unit to Google services (Play Store, Google Maps etc).
1. Design exterior & interior very elegant
2. Fuel save 6.6L/100km (530km full tank)
3. Engine power
4. Engine noise i like it
5. Price is okey la
1. Don't like HU. Because no use. It suppose to get better HU.
2. Annoying sound at dash board + rear part (don't know what)
3. Rim. Why 15inch only. Premium should go at least 16inch
4. Cvt. This is need to improve alot. Yes cvt is good for fuel save but it has some lagging when drive slow (traffic jem) .
2. QC level
4. Sport rim
5. CFe / turbo
1) I had drove Myvi 1.3 for 4 month and after comparison, Iriz has more power and pickup even though it is heavier over 100 kg than Myvi. It has the power I needed whenever I want to overtake and speeding at highway.
2) Iriz comes with ABS, EBD, ESC, airbag disable function, immobilizer, isofix and 6 ARIBAGS for all variants!! which make it the cheapest car which having all those important safety features. No wonder this car received 5 star ANCAP and won the Maybank Car Of The Year 2014 for Compact Hatchback & People's Choice Award.
3) The handling has superb and always been strong point for Proton. It feels like driving a Lotus car when you cornering and trust me Iriz doesn't disappoint you. Knowing that Iriz was Proton's first electric power steering (EPS), the designers and engineers had done a very good job where it capable to take cornering a minimal radius especially during u-turn at 2 lane traffic light.
4) I love the stitching instrument panel and in-car entertainment (ICE) as it looks like entering in an entry-luxury car. Even though I bought a standard variant but it still looks good and decent.
5) Build quality was very good and the car still in good condition until today. Trust me this will be a game changer for Proton. Proton must maintaining the good quality product and service to their customers to regain their No.1 position in Malaysia
Proton can still reducing the base price for standard variant since there are a lot extra features which shouldn't be in standard version such as like:
3) 6 airbags
4) Airbag disable function
6) 2-din headunit
8) Hill start assist
9) Sport rim.
Remove those unnecessary features to reduce base line variant price.
- Absolutely Comfortable.
- Handling is very light, thanks to EPS.
- Good figure of fuel efficiency (12.0 - 12.2 km/l)
- Not really underpowered.
- Front leg room very good.
- Wide range of safety features.
- Great at absorbing bumps
- CVT not very smooth. From a scale of 1-10: 3.
- Annoying CVT whine.
- Engine to noisy when you stepping on the pedal to get to 80km/h.
- Noisy beep noise when going on bumps.
- Space at the back seats need to be bigger.
- Improve the CVT gearbox..
- Insulate the CVT whine and loud engine sound
- Acquire a function to disable that beep.
-ABS, EBD, BA, TC, ESC, HHA all comes standard in all variant
-electric power steering varies its power on vehicle speed
-ESC keeps the car so stable at sharp cornering, I tried very hard to cause an oversteer but failed
-comfort tuned suspension doesn't affect handling
-clutch very soft and smooth, not tiring to drive
-brake pedal very soft but brakes very strong, in emergency situation BA can kick in to help u brake harder
-hill hold assist might not matters much to experienced drivers but it does reduce driving fatigue if u get caught in a jam, uphill!
-very solid feel, door close doesn't sound like cheap car
-spacious cabin, enough leg room for rear passengers
-nice engine sound at high revs
-wind noise, vibrations very low, passenger can sleep soundly while cruising at 160kph
-5th gear have small ratio to save fuel while driving highway
-removed door lock knob, pull handle twice to unlock (like Ford, Merc, VW, etc..)
-double locking feature, when activate, intruder cannot open the door even if they break the window and pull the handle from inside
-headlamps will auto turn off when off engine, but position lamp remain on if u leave the switch on, so if somehow u really forgot the turn off the headlamp, don't need worry battery drained
-original Silverstone M3 tyre noisy and less grip
-when cornering hard, body roll due to torsion beam design, puts high load on the rear wheel can cause high wear on the side wall
-projector headlamp use tungsten bulb not HID
-gear shifter knob is not very comfortable to grab
-very big gap between tyre and fender (probably designed for larger wheels?)
-glove box doesn't close well, most users had the same issue, design problem?
-cannot turn off individual aircon vents, incase passenger feel too cold and driver feel too warm and vise versa
-1.3 might be slightly underpower sometimes, as this car is so heavy
-4th gear and 5th gear ratio too far, need to stay at 4th gear to accelerate until desired speed, then only shift 5th gear
-the only local car that use "top-lock" wiper instead of the usual "hook" type which can be found easily in the market
-strange keyhole design for emergency unlock the driver door
-odd location for the USB port for radio
-turn signal switch on left side, need to change gears and push the signal light with left hand (old Saga is on the right)
-reverse sensor buzzer sound very soft, barely hear unless turn off radio
By far, compared to the Myvi 1.5, this car feels like it has more power, despite the fact the Iriz is much heavier (over 100 kg more) and only has a little bit more power than the Myvi. Its a very eager car, very darty and just goes when you press the accelerator.
Handling has always been Proton's strong point and the Iriz doesn't disappoint. It takes corners really well, and for Proton's first electric power steering, I find it better than the hydraulic system on the Preve, somehow it just feels so much nicer both at speed and while parking.
Visibility is pretty decent too, though the Myvi does feel more spacious and airy inside, especially on the older ones with the cream interior. The Iriz feels more compact and tight especially in the back. Seats are very much better than the Myvi however, they have a bit of shape to it and hold on to you better. The rear seat backs too feel OK and the leather on the Premium is actually quite good for the price.
Highway refinement and composure is another advantage of this. As a cruiser, I find this more stable than a Myvi and more quiet too, especially cause the CVT settles down to a low RPM when cruising. Compared to the 4 speed auto, its better as you don't have a droning noise on the highway long distance drives.
Build quality for a Proton is not bad. Funny how the doors on the Iriz close with a more reassuring sound than the Myvi.
The Iriz is very safe, especially considering that ESP is standard and 6 airbags are available. This makes it the cheapest car you can get with ESP and 6 airbags.
Looks wise it is pretty decent. The front is very nice, and really like the detailing in the headlights. Also like how the interior is well thought out.
CVT transmission is a bit of a mess really, especially in the early days. One of the main issue was that when pulling away in traffic, it has a delay before the car actually moves, despite still being in drive.
6 airbags on the highest spec only was expected but the pricing of the highest one is steep, putting this car out of the reach of many. Also, I'd have preferred if there was one with 6 airbags but without the huge rear diffuser and spoiler (pointless in a city car), and the side skirts really. Sadly even if you buy one, a Proton dealer can't pull them out and swap with the standard bumper for the rear and standard spoiler.
Finally I find the rear seat base too soft, this is an issue even on the Suprima too. It causes you to sink into the chair too much, making it a bit uncomfy on long trips in the rear.
Improve on the seat base for the rear seats.
Throw in rain sensors too please!
And give us the option to not have the OTT bodykit on the Premium.
TCS, ESP, ABS, EBD ,BA, Airbag as standard feature across all variants
Worth every penny
At this price point it does provide more accessories, safety feature, better performance compare to it's main competitor(Myvi 2015)
Lot's of USB charging port, kudos!
Very good at handling with this price point
Acceleration of this car feel kinda heavy
Proton infotainment system is locked down(even though there's some way to install play store(Google service) on it
When handbrake is released it will stop any video(can be fix with installing mx player) or wifi that is currently using on the infotainment
Both of the door at the back sounds cheap and hollow
Hope Proton will release new firmware update for proton's ecu for better accelerating
Please include Google service if not then there's no point for using Android
Good handling with nice steering.
Nice front view, the halogen projector look stunning.
The space inside is quite big for a hatchback, really comfortable seat.
The sound system is so so.
Many USB port 1.5 and 2.1, also a lot of drinks holder.
Door close sound seem like an expensive car.
Reverse camera not so clear at night.
The android touch screen is hard to push when ever the menu is at the bottom of the 6.1 screen, especially the keyboard.
The rear look a bit short, can imrove more, maybe a more curvy then the current.
The sport rim looks so girly with the flower shape.... Hibiscus?????
Fuel consumption a bit high, maybe because of 1.6 cvt that i bought.
The key at sterring always hang.
The car key button loose after 2 days of use? am i a hulk??
The bootspace for sure, and the insulator system, the sound is quite noisy for the engine.
1. Handling very good, even at 160km/h and yet still stable.
2. Comfortable and fun to drive.
3. Cornering high speed and yet the body roll is acceptable. Love this car so much!
4. Engine sound is acceptable.
5. Love Bosch ESP, Traction control is the most important thing when driving.
6. With this price and spec, mana mau dapat??
7. Fuel consumption is average. RON 97 RM80 For 400KM. 80% City, 20% Highway. Town driving i prefer Ron95.
1. QA and QC need a lot of improvement. Fixing door, glovebox may see some uneven gap. Don't like the engine cover spray printing and it feels like a cheap car.
2. Left side reverse sensor on and off
3. Knocking sound at back
4. CVT sounds humming and annoying.. Proton.. please improved!!!!! cannot accept this..
1. improved CVT noise..
2. Please do check your QA/QC
Yes, I would recommend this car
Date Reviewed 29 January 2015
Ride & Handling
1.3 VVT Standard CVT (2013)
Bought new, Owned for 1 Year
-memang proton telah buat buat perubahan besar pembuatan kereta
-handling mmg terbaik
-walaupun variant standard tapi,.Dari segi safety's & teknologi yg patut Ada pada sesebuah kereta tu dah lengkap
-senang cakap kene rasa dlu@testdrive kt proton yg berhampiran
-seriously mmg bagus
-CVT engine agak bising
-mmg xde nak komen sbb mmg dah puas hati
-customer service (jgn biar pelanggan tggu lama Sgt)
-Handling is superb, very responsive, minimal body roll when taking corner at high speed (>130)
-Very responsive when accelerating after ECU and CTU update, no more slow dragging acceleration
-spacious legroom at the back
-rear parking camera is very helpful
-nice overall looks
-Slightly jerky at times especially at low speed
-Noisy exhaust system / engine
-rattling sound from dashboard area at low speed
-pick-up from a complete stop is slightly slow
-improvement on the gear box system
-maybe a better fuel consumption, my experience driving almost daily from Kedah to Penang ¬1L/12-13km
-Better service centres cervices
1. Handling & Comfortable really good. Even at 150km/h still stable. Cornering high speed body roll very little only.
2. Engine sound is acceptable. Can see many sound proof material.
3. Love Bosch ESP, Traction control is the most important thing when driving.
4. Well built solid body and safety feature.
5. At this price and spec, No complain at all.
6. Fuel consumption is average. RON 97 RM80 For 410KM. 80% City, 20% Highway. (RM 2.26 Per/L)
1. QC still need more improvement. Fixing door, bumper may see some uneven gap. Don't like the engine cover spray printing.
2. SC need more smiles.
3. Stock tyre SilverXXXXX a bit noisy
- exceptional handling and ride comfortable
- Safety features
- Slightly under power for 1.3 model
- Some noise can be hear in cabin / dashboad, and some parts issue (Can be fix but will need to visit SC alot)
- Rear seat can't fold down fully flat
- Engine Noise
- bigger boot and make the rear seat fold down flat
- better gear box
- better fuel consumption
- Buy the 1.6 model instead of 1.3
1. Handling especially at corners
2. Stable even when the speed reach 140 km/h
3.Good rear legroom for its size.
5.Spacious interior for B-segment
6.OEM sound system is just great
1.Finishing quality is not expected as this car is proton flagship
2. Lack of engine performance , it gives a good end power but pick-up is abit let down
CarBase.my is a one-stop car buyer's guide run by the paultan.org Automotive Network, with an extensive database of new cars on sale in Malaysia. You’ll find prices, specifications, warranty details, high-resolution photos, expert and user reviews, and so much more – packaged in a user-friendly, intuitive layout that is easy to read.
Stay up to date with CarBase.my by following us at: